Staccato is Italian for detached (the opposite of legato ‘bound, tied’) and is used to describe ‘a special manner of performing musical phrase without slurring the notes together, articulationg each separately. The staccato actually shorten the value of each note as written by the insertion of a minute pause. These 3 aspects of musical staccato
– Separate articulation
– Shortening of notes
– Insertion of pauses
Should be borne in mind in the following discussion of how the meaning of this musical term maybe transferred to features of pronunciation.
Extracted from Foley, J (1988). New English: The case of Singapore. Singapore: Singapore University Press. Retrieved from https://books.google.com.my/books?id=2D9-DjSLnWIC&pg=PA115&lpg=PA115&dq=The+Staccato+Effect&source=bl&ots=2e1GxHejSj&sig=7SIgzkboU-byERpbrdZqr_UmZ18&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg2s_Tz7LJAhURHI4KHejcBnYQ6AEINDAD#v=onepage&q=The%20Staccato%20Effect&f=false
I have found out that the staccato effect of Malaysian English is due to the stressing of every single syllabe in English words. This is especially happenin Chinese native speaker, as they is either
1. Absence of stressing features in Mandarin
2. Stressing on every single word, as every single words has their own lexical meaning, in contrast to English.
Even though, that this book produce in the year of 1988, has been published for 27 years until 2015. I still find it an interesting topic for research.
The reason for this is
1. The staccato effect still happen, perhaps with less staccato, but it still happen.
2. The staccato effect generally reduce as the Chinese native speaker grow up and gain increasing exposure to English medium in term of Speaking and Listening. But that is still a necessary to teach on this.
3. The staccato effect has living for a timespan of at least 27 years. With the explicit awareness from Researcher and lecturer in Phonology and phonetic field. Still, the staccato effect still happen after 27 years.
4. Thus, there should be a research on how to reduce the staccato effect in Language teaching classroom. Perhaps a communicative Language theory to teach students? Which is also a new approach to teach student?